Sustainable Folding Boxes and Other Packaging Solutions Made From Stone Film

Seufert Transarente Verpackungen (Seufert) is producing their folding boxes and other packaging materials from eco-friendly stone film. Making use of eco-friendly material for packaging solutions has allowed the German company to standout and convince its end consumers regarding its environmental advantages.

What is stone film?

Stone film is manufactured from 100% waste and recycled materials with about 60% to 80% rock powder (calcium carbonate) which is a residual product of the construction industry and quarrying. The remaining 20% to 40% of stone film is made from recycled polyethylene which bonds with calcium carbonate. Stone film has the advantages of being tear-proof, waterproof and writable with the soft special velvet touch.

Since stone film is made from a very common natural material, the manufacturers have also seen to it that production is ecologically sustainable. The manufacturing process does not require water and there are no carbon dioxide emissions. Energy consumption is significantly low and with nearly no waste during production. Stone film can also be recycled to produce new stone film or other plastic products. Because of the environmentally friendly production process and the potential for recycling, stone film has received cradle-to-cradle certificate in silver.

Seufert has tested the packaging material thoroughly and it was convinced that stone film is extremely suitable for making plastic folding boxes. The white material has the stability that is typically found in the usual PET film. Stone film can be decorated with offset or silk screen printing to improve its aesthetics. The material can also be glued, cut and welded to form boxes, slipcases, covers and other packaging designs.

In order to provide an eco-friendly packaging alternative its customers, Seufert is cooperating with German company aprinthia GmbH. This means that Seufert can offer a new sustainable alternative for white or fully printed folding plastic boxes. Furthermore, die cut parts of stone film are being transformed into tags, add-on bags, posters and display solutions so that there will be zero waste.

For a large selection of packaging products that can be found on one roof, you can visit Paper Mart, the largest discount packaging supply company in the United States.