Question #1: “WHAT IS TEFL AND WHAT CAN IT DO?”
- TEFL or Teaching English as a Foreign Language is what you would need in order to become a certified English language teacher. You would need to enroll and complete an internationally-recognized TEFL course before you are given a certificate indicating you are qualified to teach English anywhere in the world. Most employers would require a teacher who has completed 120 hours of training so make sure to enroll a course offering those hours. There are numerous schools offering TEFL courses and if you worry that you don’t have enough time to complete those hours, you should know that TEFL courses are also offered in the evening and on weekdays. Some even offer TEFL courses online which makes it more convenient for most people.
Question #2: “HOW DO YOU DETERMINE WHICH COURSE TO TAKE?”
- To find out which TEFL course to take, you should consider doing some research. There are numerous TEFL providers and it is important that you choose one that is accredited so that your qualification will be recognized anywhere in the world. Always be on the lookout for value.
Question #3: “DO YOU NEED A SECOND LANGUAGE TO TEACH TEFL?”
- No you don’t. In most cases, TEFL teachers would be required to only speak English in the classroom so that students become accustomed to the language.
Question #4: “WHY ARE THE COURSES MEASURED IN HOURS?”
- Employers use the hours to determine how much study you have done and they will use these hours as basis to determine if you are qualified or not.
Question #5: “WHERE CAN YOU TEACH TEFL?”
- You can teach anywhere in the world. You can teach English in Thailand, in South Africa, South America and more.
Question #6: “HOW MUCH CAN BE EARNED ABROAD WITH TEFL?”
- The salaries vary from country to country and they are mostly paid in the country’s currency. TEFL teachers’ salaries are often more than enough to accommodate the average cost of living in that country and more.
Question #7: “WHAT ARE EMPLOYERS LOOKING FOR?”
- Employers usually look for qualified TEFL teachers that possess the qualities and skills to provide a positive learning environment.